The Safdarjung Tomb is dedicated to Mirza Muqeem Abul-Mansur Khan, who was also known as Safdarjung. The tomb was built by his son in 1754 and is special because it was the last building to be constructed in the same fashion as Humayun’s Tomb.
The tomb has tanks and fountains dotting the central pathway. It has a gate on the east and is surrounded by pavilions on its other three sides. It is a double storied square structure built on a platform of a raised terrace.
“For those fortunate souls who constantly and directly see the beautiful form of Rama , crores of holy rivers are present at Dhanushkoti (the tip of Rama’s bow) itself, rivers like Ganga with its sources at the Lord’s feet and the Kaveri deriving its glory from shri Ranganatha; why should one wander from place to place (on tirtha yatra)?”
Dhanushkodi, a place 20 km away from the main town of Rameshwaram, is the place where you can see the Ram Setu. Dhanushkodi is the place where the wonders of nature and man become one. A place surrounded with mystery, ghost stories and myths.
The town is stark and empty – stripped of life and the barrenness. It was the 21st of December, 1964. 55 years ago, a disaster hit the little port town of Dhanushkodi swallowing the town and taking many lives. The Pamban Dhanushkodi Passenger train which left Pamban with 110 passengers and 5 members of the railway staff was hit by the high tidal waves and the whole train got submerged under water killing all 115 passengers. As a result, the little town which was once a tourist spot with several pilgrims and fishermen, was reduced to ruins. Skeletal remains of a church and a temple along with some crumbled walls of homes lie scattered on the sands. There is hardly any ruin in the town – just some broken and fragmented bricks.